TCP/IP protocols map to a four-layer conceptual model known as the DARPA model , named after the U.S. government agency that initially developed TCP/IP. The four layers of the DARPA model are: Application, Transport, Internet, and Network Interface. Each layer in the DARPA model corresponds to one or more layers of the seven-layer Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model.
Figure 1.1 shows the TCP/IP protocol architecture.
Figure 1.1 TCP/IP Protocol Architecture
Network Interface Layer
The Network Interface layer (also called the Network Access layer) is responsible for placing TCP/IP packets on the network medium and receiving TCP/IP packets off the network medium. TCP/IP was designed to be independent of the network access method, frame format, and medium. In this way, TCP/IP can be used to connect differing network types. These include LAN technologies such as Ethernet and Token Ring and WAN technologies such as X.25 and Frame Relay. Independence from any specific network technology gives TCP/IP the ability to be adapted to new technologies such as Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM).
The Network Interface layer encompasses the Data Link and Physical layers of the OSI model. Note that the Internet layer does not take advantage of sequencing and acknowledgment services that might be present in the Data-Link layer. An unreliable Network Interface layer is assumed, and reliable communications through session establishment and the sequencing and acknowledgment of packets is the responsibility of the Transport layer.
The Internet layer is responsible for addressing, packaging, and routing functions. The core protocols of the Internet layer are IP, ARP, ICMP, and IGMP.
- The Internet Protocol (IP) is a routable protocol responsible for IP addressing, routing, and the fragmentation and reassembly of packets.
- The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) is responsible for the resolution of the Internet layer address to the Network Interface layer address such as a hardware address.
- The Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) is responsible for providing diagnostic functions and reporting errors due to the unsuccessful delivery of IP packets.
- The Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) is responsible for the management of IP multicast groups.
The Internet layer is analogous to the Network layer of the OSI model.
The Transport layer (also known as the Host-to-Host Transport layer) is responsible for providing the Application layer with session and datagram communication services. The core protocols of the Transport layer are Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).
- TCP provides a one-to-one, connection-oriented, reliable communications service. TCP is responsible for the establishment of a TCP connection, the sequencing and acknowledgment of packets sent, and the recovery of packets lost during transmission.
- UDP provides a one-to-one or one-to-many, connectionless, unreliable communications service. UDP is used when the amount of data to be transferred is small (such as the data that would fit into a single packet), when the overhead of establishing a TCP connection is not desired or when the applications or upper layer protocols provide reliable delivery.
The Transport layer encompasses the responsibilities of the OSI Transport layer and some of the responsibilities of the OSI Session layer.
The Application layer provides applications the ability to access the services of the other layers and defines the protocols that applications use to exchange data. There are many Application layer protocols and new protocols are always being developed.
The most widely-known Application layer protocols are those used for the exchange of user information:
- The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is used to transfer files that make up the Web pages of the World Wide Web.
- The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is used for interactive file transfer.
- The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is used for the transfer of mail messages and attachments.
- Telnet, a terminal emulation protocol, is used for logging on remotely to network hosts.
Additionally, the following Application layer protocols help facilitate the use and management of TCP/IP networks:
- The Domain Name System (DNS) is used to resolve a host name to an IP address.
- The Routing Information Protocol (RIP) is a routing protocol that routers use to exchange routing information on an IP internetwork.
- The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is used between a network management console and network devices (routers, bridges, intelligent hubs) to collect and exchange network management information.
Examples of Application layer interfaces for TCP/IP applications are Windows Sockets and NetBIOS
Very useful information about TCP/IP Protocol Architecture. Check for Professional Training. Embedded Systems Design Course | IOT Training Institute in BangaloreReplyDelete
Great Article Cloud Computing ProjectsDelete
Final Year Projects for CSE
The Angular Training covers a wide range of topics including Components, Angular Directives, Angular Services, Pipes, security fundamentals, Routing, and Angular programmability. The new Angular TRaining will lay the foundation you need to specialise in Single Page Application developer. Angular Training
Thank you for sharing this type of interview questionsReplyDelete
Iot Online Training
Iot Training in Bangalore
Itil Interview Questions
Salesforce Interview Questions
Msbi Interview questions
Salesforce Interview Questions
C Interview Questions
Iot Training in Bangalore - Live Online & ClassroomReplyDelete
IOT Training course observes iot as the platform for networking of different devices on the internet and their inter related communication.
Embedded Training in Chennai | Embedded Training in Anna Nagar | Embedded System Training in Anna Nagar | Embedded System Training in Chennai | Best Embedded System Training in Chennai | Best Embedded Systems Training in Chennai | Embedded Training Institute in Chennai | Embedded System Training Institute in Chennai | Embedded Course in Chennai | Embedded Training Center in ChennaiReplyDelete
Embedded Training in Chennai | Best Embedded Training in Chennai | Embedded System Training in Chennai | Embedded System Training Institute in Chennai | Best Embedded System Training Institute in Chennai | Embedded Course in Chennai | Embedded System Training Institutes in Chennai | Embedded System Training Center in Chennai | Best Embedded System Training in Chennai | Embedded Systems Training in Chennai | VLSI Training in Chennai | VLSI Training Institute in ChennaiReplyDelete
embedded systems training in chennaiReplyDelete
embedded systems training chennai
embedded training in chennai
embedded systems course in chennai
embedded course in chennai
top 10 embedded training institutes in chennai
embedded course in chennai
embedded system course chennai
embedded training institute in chennai
best embedded system training in chennai
best embedded training institute in chennai
embedded training institutes in chennai
best embedded training in chennai
vlsi training in chennai
embedded linux training in chennai
It was wonerful reading your conent. Thankyou very much. # BOOST Your GOOGLE RANKING.It’s Your Time To Be On #1st PageReplyDelete
Our Motive is not just to create links but to get them indexed as will
Increase Domain Authority (DA).We’re on a mission to increase DA PA of your domain
High Quality Backlink Building Service
1000 Backlink at cheapest
50 High Quality Backlinks for just 50 INR
2000 Backlink at cheapest
5000 Backlink at cheapest
Professional tennis player as well as mental health expert mynews today news india news live today breaking news news live today breaking newsReplyDelete
Great Website I just found it very useful, I just accidentally click the link mentioned on 9xmovies tamilrockers 2022 khatrimaza tamilgun 2022 filmywap and get into your post. It's a very informative blog and the layout also user-friendly. ThanksReplyDelete
The Kashmir Files Full Movie Download FilmyzillaReplyDelete
batman movie download in hindi filmyzilla
Wonder Woman 1984 Full Movie Download in Hindi Filmyzilla
Silence Movie Download in Hindi Filmyzilla
RRR Movie Download in Hindi 480p Filmyzilla
The Matrix Resurrections Movie Download Filmyzilla
kgf chapter 2 full movie in hindi download filmyzilla